Alexa Statistics for this blog

Sunday 2 March 2008

The Curse of the 4-stringed One

Ever since I bought my bass guitar last year,I have been plagued with problems that keep me from exploiting my inner musical prowess.First,I had no amplifier(but that was in '06 when i bought my friend's old Givson Jaguar from him for 2000 bucks).Then, that Givson's headstock broke and I had an excuse for an amplifier in the form of a Stranger Cube20M(a pocket-sized piece of shit that doesn't say 'bass' ANYWHERE on it).Then, I was 'bass'less for 2 whole months before I bought my Ibanez Gio Soundgear(the one in my photo) and then when I thought I had settled down finally, that amp coughed up and died. Another blessing in disguise( but sometimes I just wish for DIRECT blessings).This was when my best friend/almost brother Aneesh (the same guy I bought the Jaguar from) stepped in and gave me his Stranger Cube 80M, a BASS amplifer. BUT, since it was in MY custody,it HAD to have problems AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!! The problem with that (currently still persisting) was that its circuitry had burnt out so comprehensively inside,that a volume increase from 0 to 1 would result in INSANE amounts of noise and the volume would be as high as it would sound at 10. To provide icing to the cake, I had been smart enough to store my bass guitar in a TUNED condition,so that the fretboard kept bending and now I have an action so high you could do a Physics experiment on the fretboard.

Such is the wrath of the 4-stringed one...

2 comments:

commonkk said...

Guitars don't warp because of a tuned state but because of season changes, it's wood remember, apart from that a warp occurs if you keep high tension on some strings and detune the others.
Generally all guitars warp with time.

metal-militant said...

Yes but if the string remains taut it will obviously bend the fretboard due to the tension between 2 fixed points.Add to it the fact that this string is made of steel,AND that a bass guitar's strings are at least twice the thickness of an ordinary guitar's strings,you're in for a 'crick in the neck'.